Monday, January 13, 2014

High Priest's Christmas Present

Hey!!

I am so glad to hear that everything is going well. Except the places that aren't... in those places, I hope they will start going well. Please give my condolences to the Lauritzens.

Of course everything is super busy! :) What would life be like if it weren't? How was the activity day girl's performance? Mom didn't say anything about it except that she was super stressed out. :) Was it worth the stress? Whew! I hope you are able to maintain your sanity throughout all of that craziness! The video from FHE is absolutely adorable. Sister Wells thinks you both deserve awards for your thrilling performance.

This week has been an absolutely incredible week. Sister Wells (my new companion) and I seem to get along pretty well, and she has really helped me. I think she's got some great things for this area, and I'm excited for this transfer. She is from Montana, is the 2nd oldest of 6 and has been out nearly a year. Its pretty great.

So- awesome story this week. 

Long Version: Dad, that Christmas present from the High Priest group is very powerful. The moment I opened the box, I could feel the Spirit pushing out of the box. It was one of the most powerful forces I have ever felt. Between the truths taught in the Book of Mormon, and the testimonies backed by lives filled with dedication to Christ, the Spirit those books are incredible powerful. Because of that, I prayed that the Lord would help me to use them wisely. I know those books will change Alabama, and I want to be sure to put them in fertile ground. 

As I was fingering through them, I noticed a testimony written in Spanish (possibly Brother Garcia's?) , but it was in an English copy of the Book of Mormon. I prayed to know which testimony I should put in my bag, and I was told to put the Spanish one in my bag. Now, that one made no sense- A) I am an English missionary, I don't speak Spanish... at all. B) In Birmingham we run into plenty of people that speak Spanish, and some English, but Huntsville... not so much. C) The Book of Mormon is pretty intense reading, even for someone whose first language is English. D) It would have to be someone with a heartfelt connection to Spanish in order to fully appreciate the testimony. It made no sense, but like most good stories, I put it in my bag.

During nightly planning on Thursday, I was wondering what we were going to do the next day, (The wonderful part of being the experienced one in an area you hardly know... sometimes you just stare at your board for long periods of time wondering what in the world you are going to do the next day.) and my eye caught the name of a couple that is basically a Do Not Contact couple. Now, I am a bit of a chicken in that area- if someone doesn't want to be contacted, I would much rather just not contact them. Let them be until they realize that they really do want to be contacted, and then we'll have a much happier reunion. But, the Spirit was telling me to visit them. I said, "Fine! If they live down South in the area we are visiting tomorrow, and if the Spirit reminds me of it tomorrow, we'll visit them."

Fast forward to the next day- all of our sparse plans fell through... :P So, like slightly desperate missionaries, we sat on a park bench and prayed about what to do. I was told "Don't knock" and then the name of that couple popped into mind. :P Sister Wells felt like we should go up the road. We pulled out the GPS, and this couple was exactly 1 mile, straight up the road. I never have things like that happen to me... NEVER... Heavenly Father was being rather obvious. Well, we went up the road, but I was still scared to death- Do Not Contacts are Do Not Contact for a reason. You don't contact them. So, while we marched to our death I prayed, "If this is a bad idea- get them out of here quickly, because we are going up. If it is a good idea, please, please, put the man out in the yard, maybe doing yard work, and make him have a friendly reaction." I'm pretty sure I prayed this the entire mile up. 

As we got closer, I looked to see if someone was in the yard, and there wasn't. There was a man in the yard next door, but no one in the yard of the home we were going to. As I looked at the home we were going, I almost turn-tailed and ran. It was HUGE. It was like the Bennett's, but 50x more foreboding, and you could see all of the levels from the street. I started walking up the large, sweeping steps towards the large, black door, and decided I'd much rather talk to the man in the yard next door. 

He smiled at us, I started talking to him, and guess what- the Spirit told me that was the man who needed the Spanish Book of Mormon. Turns out he can read English, and speaks Spanish. It was crazy. We're giving him to the Spanish sisters, but if I find out anything else, I'll share it with you. But Whew!! That was one crazily led copy of the Book of Mormon. But it was certainly led. 

p.s. Also- the DNC couple weren't home. Sometimes I think the Lord really likes irony... 

Short version: We gave out a copy of the Book of Mormon!! Maybe someone will be saved!!! (or Exalted... because we are not Baptist and we set our sights much higher.)

Well, I love you all! I hope you have an absolutely fantastic week. I love you!

Love,


~Sister Pratt

No comments:

Post a Comment