Monday, June 9, 2014

Miracles and the Spirit in the sticks

Hey!

How is everyone doing? 

This week has been incredible. Absolutely incredible. We had two days where Sister Stahle and I just turned to ourselves, and said, "Yeah. The Lord took that one." And I haven't even written about those two days. That is how crazy our week has been! It was like miracle after miracle after miracle. The Lord really does amazing stuff!

On Tuesday we had the unique opportunity to teach a lesson on a bunch of logs. They were going to be chopped up for firewood, I'm pretty sure. It made me laugh, and I'll have to send you a picture soon. But it reminded me just how deep in the South I am. Haha singing I am a Child of God on a bunch of logs- unique experiences of my mission!

On Friday we had an incredible Zone Training, the Spirit was very present, and I received much revelation. It is odd how in someways I see myself becoming the missionary I've always wanted to be, and yet I still see just how far I am from becoming it. It is a weird combination. And yet it moves! Also on Friday we went on exchanges again. I'm not quite sure why we did it twice, but I enjoy Sister Sheffer, and Sister Stahle had an absolute blast. It was a pretty good exchange.

Before I begin this particular story, I would like to say really quickly, this story is NOT about me. This story is not about me, but about how incredible the Lord's work is and how good it feels to be his servant. All of the words were coming out of my mouth, but it was not me. It was the Lord and no one else. It was absolutely amazing. 

The lesson that started off with one of our progressing Less-Active families deciding to suddenly quit coming to church. It was mostly the Mom, so we worked with her. Obviously not exactly what we wanted to hear, but it gave me an opportunity to pray, ask for help, and then watch as the Spirit just completely took over. It was amazing how quickly scriptures, personal experiences, questions, techniques and analogies just started popping into my mind. LoL- I even mixed analogies and compared keeping the commandments to eating ice cream- you can still have a variety while keeping the commandments and coming to church, but not coming to church and keeping the commandments is like eating a cow pie. Sure you are doing what you want to do- but honestly, Why!? Its nasty, there are limited flavors and keeping the commandments is SUCH a better way to protect your agency. 

It was an incredible lesson. It was powerful, it was clear, and they were given a good invitation. I left knowing, absolutely knowing, that the Lord and I had done everything in our power, while still respecting her agency, to get her to choose the right. What happened afterwards was her decision. I absolutely love that feeling!!! I know that sounds awful- especially since I don't entirely know what she is going to end up choosing... she didn't come to church on Sunday, but she texted me today to tell me that she's been thinking about what was said. I don't know. I love her, and I pray she'll decide not to eat cow pies, but I know that absolutely everything in our power was done to convince her of the error of her ways. After that it was her choice. It adds a finality to a lesson that we rarely get as missionaries. I don't have to worry about what I could have done- the ball is in her court, and I could walk away with confidence in the Lord. Maybe that is what the Book of Mormon means in Ether 12:37 when it says, "And it came to pass that the Lord said unto me: If they have not charity it mattereth not unto thee, thou hast been faithful; wherefore, thy garments shall be made clean. And because thou hast seen thy weakness thou shalt be made strong, even unto the sitting down in the place which I have prepared in the mansions of my Father." I'm not quite as incredible as Mormon, but the Lord is. Also, applying it to myself helps me understand a lot of mission life. It was a beautiful lesson, and the Lord did absolutely everything, and because of that, it simply boils down to her use of agency. 

On Sunday we had an absolutely CRAZY day. First off, we had a lady call us on Thursday and tell us she wanted to come to our church on Sunday. We offered to come out to meet her first, but she said she would be fine just showing up. Well, she actually showed up! Haha- the Elders gave the talks in Sacrament meeting, which was absolutely incredible (especially since their topics were the Melchizedek Priesthood, and the Sealing power). They did a Great job! And then for Gospel Principles we decided to do the first lesson. The other people in Gospel Principles were supportive, and it was one of the most incredible first lessons I have ever sat through. The Spirit was strong enough to cut with a knife. We got to watch the other members of the class testify to her of their experiences, she testified, and she kept saying, "this makes sense. This makes so much sense." She is SO humble and SO prepared, I cannot wait until I'm able to see her baptism. 

I also had the opportunity to teach the lesson in Relief Society. It was lesson 10 in the Joseph Fielding Smith book, and it was about our Search for Truth. We had an absolutely incredible lesson. I started off talking about how I had been given the opportunity to learn truth from a very young age, and as I talked I felt the Spirit point out that nearly everything I know and everything I feel about truth is because of my mom. She taught me so much about learning and loving truth- She taught me where to find it, and forced me to find it even when I would rather read Harry Potter, she taught me that I have to take care of the truth I receive or else I would lose it, she taught me to thirst after knowledge, and she taught me about how precious true, pure doctrine is. I am incredibly grateful for her and all she's done to teach me truth.

I could use some extra prayers this week. And please pray for the family that is deciding what to do with their activity in the church...so their hearts will be softened. :) Thank you so much for everything you do! I love you all so much! Hope you all have an awesome week!!

I love you!
Love always,
Sister Pratt


~Steadfast in Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment